Dan Udseth

Dan Udseth
Dog Lover

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Naika

 
                                         Naika with owners Al, and Kiko Stewart





                                                            Naika 

     April has arrived and with it spring flowers and refreshed souls. Everyone who has been hibernating all winter can now be seen on the streets of the Motherlode. People aren’t the only ones who love spring, so do dogs. On one warm spring day I was at WalMart and saw what looked like a bear on a leash. I had to ask what kind of dog that huge black furry animal was. Al Stewart said his name was Naika, a 150 pound Newfoundland.

     The breed is known for their giant size, tremendous strength, calm dispositions, and loyalty. Originally they were used as working dogs helping fisherman in Newfoundland Canada with their nets. Once you see them you can understand why.

       Al made mention that Naiki was very protective so be very careful around him. It didn’t take much to convince me that a dog the size of a bear was best approached with caution. We agreed to meet on Naika’s turf and do this story.

        Naika resides in Pine Grove and shares his turf with Al, and Kiko Stewart, Krystal Gusman and Kiana Haunio and three other dogs. For those unfamiliar with Hawaiian culture Kiko is native Hawaiian and hence all the Hawaiian names. Al and Kiko met while he was stationed in Hawaii and are Motherlode transplants having moved here from the Bay Area.

        It was a warm spring day when I arrived at the Stewart’s home. Having been warned of  Naika’s protective nature, I was cautious when I exited the car with my camera slung across my shoulder. Suddenly Naika came running at me full gallop. I suddenly got the feeling a quarterback has when he is being chased by a 280 pound linebacker. Naika went after my camera case hitting me at full gallop. Like a quarterback I never left my feet but did feel the blow. Once he decided I was a friend we went into the house to complete the interview.

    Naika is big and has the run of the yard and the house. Like most pets of dog lovers he is allowed on the furniture which is covered with his favorite blankets. When Naika is on the sofa there is only room for one more person. (barely). Imagine a bear running around the house, and you have Naika.

     The Stewarts also own Samson, a one year old full blooded Newfoundland. Naika and Samson look like twins but are not. Samson is really friendly to everyone and would love to play with you. He has absolutely no aggression. This can be challenging since Samson is 130 pounds.  Getting into a wrestling match with Samson it would be necessary to know a few moves they taught in high school wrestling. 

     Once Naika had become comfortable with me I was sitting on the couch and he would approach me as a friend. Still he was always making sure I was no threat. Once he decided he had nothing to fear from me he hopped up on the couch and curled up.

     There is rumor that the breed was created by Norwegians first landing in the new world to scare off intruders.  It has never been proven but to look at Naika and Samson a person might think the rumor true. In reality they are very calm and docile dogs. Before I left the interview both Naika and Sampson had gotten to know me and were more than happy to have their pictures taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment